My two youngest children 12 and 9 have been very excited about the presidential election this year. Obviously they don't understand all the issues, but I have been amazed by the topics we have been discussing. I was so glad they got to see the very dignified concession speech by John McCain and the inspirational acceptance speech by Barack Obama. As I sat there I started to wonder what lessons my children are learning. Here are just a few things that come to mind.
1. Hope is a powerful emotion.
2. We lead by example.
3. Bigotry is a dying.
4. That there are some Christians who believe in following Christ and practicing Love, Compassion and Understanding...Not Fear and Ignorance.
5. We live in a Global Community.
6. Democracy is of the people, by the people, and for the people.
7. When people sacrifice and stand up against injustice it does make a difference.
8. The people of a nation are more important than the flag that represents that nation.
9. That they shouldn't just accept someone else's version of the truth, but should use their own judgment based on the facts.
10. That it is okay to be proud of America!